Should I move my furniture or buy new?
There are several important factors to take under consideration when wondering whether to ship furniture or buy new:
Your old furniture’s practical value
If you have stylish and comfortable furniture that perfectly suits your needs and your aesthetic preferences, you will most certainly want to keep it and take it to your new place. If your old couch is lumpy and worn-out, however, you will probably prefer a new one for your new home.
So, to make your final decision, you need to find the answers to the following crucial questions:
Is your old furniture functional and comfortable?
Is it high quality and durable?
Is it in good overall condition? – There is no point in moving an old item only to replace it for a new one a couple of years later – if a furniture piece is on its last legs, relocating it won’t be worth the money and the effort involved in the process, no matter how practical and useful it might be;
Will it fit your new home’s layout? – It is very important to measure the doors and the available space in your new home, as well as the size of your furniture, in order to make sure that a certain piece will fit through the doors and into the room where it is supposed to be located – if it doesn’t fit in, you should not take it along, regardless of how much you like it.
Your old furniture’s sentimental value
The sentimental value of a piece may be the primary factor in your decision whether to move it or not. You will probably not want to part with a treasured family heirloom or an item associated with an important moment in your life, no matter how difficult or expensive it may be to relocate the piece.
So, when making your decision, you need to consider if:
- an old furniture piece is a family heirloom, passed down from one generation to the next for several decades or, maybe, even several centuries
- it triggers happy memories from the past or reminds you of someone or something special
- it is a favorite of yours (or of another member of your family)
- it is a stylish, beautiful item you want to hold onto
- Your old furniture’s monetary value
- While moving furniture is expensive, buying new furniture is even more expensive – especially when it comes to high quality pieces.
Is your furniture piece expensive?
Is it an antique, a vintage item, or a collector’s item?
Is it an exquisite piece of art?
Is it made of quality materials and crafted with skill and care?
Was it made by a famous manufacturer?
If in doubt, you may have your old furniture evaluated by a professional in order to get an accurate idea of its actual worth.